Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Reason #12 Why Hawaii is not America (according to Tarah)…

They allow a nude beach.

We were pretty sure that not wearing clothing in public places is illegal, are we incorrect?

Apparently it is allowed here.


The terrible part about this nude beach is that it is the ONLY beach on this side of the island. I’m being serious. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it, but Hilo does not have beaches! Rather, it has 15 foot cliffs that drop off into the ocean or “beaches” that consist of rocks and boulders, so you don’t dare get in the water just to be thrown onto a rock. Oh, I just remembered. We did find one beach one time. However, it took us an hour to hike to it and an hour to hike back from it, so it is not the most accessible beach ever.

I’ve gotten over the fact that there just aren’t good beaches here like there are on Oahu. I enjoy my one mile run followed by pool time each morning. It is the most relaxing thing to hang out in the pool for an hour or so and cool down while reading a book. I love it. However, it is also nice to get out and go do something fun once in a while too.

This is why we were excited to hear that there was a beach about a half hour away with BLACK sand. We packed our beach bags – snorkels, check…sunglasses, check…sunscreen, check…towels, check…tootsie pops…check. Six of us piled into Andy’s car. Because Ry and I are the only married ones, we get the privilege of squishing in one seat. No problem, we’ve got a system down.

A half hour later we arrived at the black sand beach.  We all got out of the car and started to stroll down the path to the sand. I’m grateful the terrain down to the beach was rocky so that I had to look down at my feet so I didn’t trip…because we were greeted by something most unpleasant....


Apparently (so I was told), when we reached the beach there was a gentlemen (needless to say he did not have clothing on) standing on the tallest rock with his arms folded, as if he were the “king of the rock”. His mannerism said, “I own this beach, if you don’t like it, leave”.

We left.

I never did get to see much of the beach. I was too scared to look up from my feet in fear that I would accidently see something I had no desire to see. BUT…I did get to see the awesome black sand and the most confusing tree I have ever seen. 


My eyes are closed in this picture...I REALLY didn't want to see the king of the rock


Go to a nude beach.

There, it is officially crossed off the bucket list. Just kidding :)


The end.



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post!! That is AWESOME that you guys accidently went! Or was it not so "accidental"? ;)

    ReplyDelete