Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Newsprint Nails

I don't remember how, but the other day I stumbled on a random blog and found this awesome idea! Newsprint nails! The first time it takes a little bit of time to get the hang of it and may take a bit of time, but it's easy as 1, 2, 3!



I had the hardest time trying to get a clear picture of them, but you get the idea, ya? I'll teach you how to do them :)



Supplies:
- ten pieces of newspaper (the newspaper should be paper with soy ink - supposedly this kind of ink is used on cheaper papers) cut into pieces big enough to cover your entire nail - my favorite nail was my thumb, I did a crossword on it. I've also seen people do a part of a comic on their thumb.
- rubbing alcohol and a small container to put it in (I used a shot glass that I found in the cupboard)
- a colored nail polish and a top coat

First paint your nails with the colored polish and wait for them to dry completely. Depending on how many coats you do, this may take a little bit of time. 
Second dip a piece of newspaper in the alcohol - make sure it is completely submerged and saturated - then place the piece of paper over one of your nails and push for about 30 seconds. The first nail I held it for two minutes thinking that the longer the better, right? Not true. 30 seconds is plenty of time and prevents the paper from sticking to your nail after you've taken it off. Repeat with all your nails. (I've also read that you can dip your nail in the alcohol instead of the newspaper - I've done both ways and dipping the newspaper eliminated the dilemma of the paper sticking to the nail.)
Third wait five minutes or so and paint your nails with the top coat. This really helps the letters show better. 

Kind of a fun idea :) I even did my toes! They're pretty difficult to see unless you're up close, but I still had fun with it.


The only complaint I would have is that I used cheaper nail polish and I went snorkeling the next day and half of my nails had chipped off :( I was pretty depressed about it. 
Overall, a fun idea!

1 comment:

  1. I love your nails! I love the green ones! Very cute idea!!

    ReplyDelete